Congrats, you got the job! But will you get the salary you want? Our friends at NextGeneration have come up with ten handy tips to negotiate your new salary properly.
- Do not start talking money early on in the interview process, save it for the very end when you know they want you (which puts you in a stronger position)
- Be prepared for the question about remuneration and know what to say when it comes up, or at least how to deflect it
- Do not be afraid to reverse that question and ask about the salary range for the position
- Ask them how much they would pay the best candidate – this will give you a ball park figure
- Do talk about the whole package you want, not just the cash – think company car, pension, interest free loans, bonuses and so forth
- Do check salary comparison sites such as Emolument to make sure you get a fair offer in the end